Hearty Vegetarian Minestrone (#1073)
Share This Recipe
- 2 tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 Carrots sliced on the bias
- 4 stalks Celery diced
- 2 medium Yellow Onion diced
- 15 oz Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans) drained
- 30 oz Canned Kidney Beans drained
- 56 oz Tomatoes, Canned With Juice diced
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 8 cups Vegetable Stock
- 4 cups Water
- 4 tablespoons Italian Parsley chopped
- 3 tablespoons Basil dried
- 1 Tbsp Oregano dried
- 1/2 tsp Sage dried
- 4 whole Bay Leaves
- 1 pound Pasta Shells brown rice or whole wheat
- 15 oz Green Peas frozen
- 1 Parmesan Rind to add to stock, optional
- 1 Salt to taste
- 1 Black Pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, onion, celery and carrots. Cook stirring frequently until the vegetables are beginning to soften for about 10 minutes. Do not brown.
- Add tomatoes, beans, chick peas vegetable stock and water. Add the parmesan rind if using. Raise heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to low to maintain a steady simmer.
- Add the bay leaves, basil, oregano, sage and italian parsley.
- Cover and let simmer slowly for 1 to 2 hours.
- Meanwhile prepare the brown rice pasta shells according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking.
- Just before the soup is finished add the frozen green peas and pasta.
- Taste and adjust seasoning adding salt and pepper as desired. Check how much salt your canned tomatoes have you may not need to add much salt at all, if any.