Farmer's Fresh Tomato Soup (#1071)
Italian Side Low Fat Vegetarian Healthy
Share This Recipe
- 1/4 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 medium Onions coarsely
- 3 Cloves Garlic minced
- 2 Celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 3 pounds Italian Plum (Roma) Tomatoes washed,, stemmed, coarsely chopped
- 1 Salt
- 1 pinch Sugar optional
- 3 slices Bread, Italian day-old, crusts removed
- 4 cups Stock hot
- 1/2 cup Basil fresh, torn in strips
- 2 tablespoons Parsley Leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoons Marjoram chopped
- 6 small Marjoram Sprig for garnish
- Heat the oil, onions, garlic and celery in a soup pot over medium- low heat, stirring occasionally, until golden (about 20 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes and salt; cook, partially covered, until the tomatoes are softened, about 20 minutes.
- If necessary, add a pinch of sugar to balance the acidity of the tomatoes.
- Put the bread in a small bowl and add 1 cup of hot broth to soften.
- Mash the bread well with a wooden spoon.
- Add the softened bread and remaining broth to the tomatoes, stirring well to completely dissolve the bread.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add the herbs during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Pass the soup through the fine blade of a food mill or purée in a food processor and strain.
- Put the soup back in the soup pot and correct the seasoning.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Ladle into heated soup bowls and pour 1 teaspoon of olive oil over each serving.
- Garnish with sprigs of fresh marjoram.