Pumpkin Rum Pie (#1047)
Desserts Pies Christmas Holidays Healthy
Share This Recipe
- 3/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 3 Tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 Tbsp Water iced, up to 2 tablespoons
- 2 large Eggs
- 15 oz Pumpkin plain puree, 1 can
- 12 oz Evaporated Milk skim
- 1/4 cup Molasses
- 3 Tbsp Dark Rum or 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar dark, packed
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Cinnamon ground
- 1 tsp Ginger ground
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg ground
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Mix together all-purpose and whole-wheat flours together in a medium bowl.
- Add sugar and salt to flour mixture.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat, swirling the pan until butter turns nutty brown, approximately 30.
- Pour into a small bowl and allow to cool. Add oil to butter and mix until well blended.
- Slowly add the butter-oil mixture to the flour mixture. Mix with a fork until crumbly.
- Gradually stir in enough ice water until dough holds together.
- Press the dough into a flattened disk.
- Place plastic wrap on a work surface.
- Set dough in the center of work surface and cover top of dough with plastic wrap.
- Roll the dough into a 13-inch circle. Remove the top plastic wrap and invert dough onto a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan.
- Remove the remaining plastic wrap.
- Fold the edges under at the rim and crimp.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate while you prepare the filling.
- Lightly whisk eggs in a medium bowl.
- Add and mix well pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, molasses and rum (or vanilla) to egg mixture.
- Into a separate small bowl, rub brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt through a sieve to prevent clumping.
- Whisk spices mixture into pumpkin mixture until well incorporated.
- Pour the filling into the prepared crust.
- Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 350°f.
- Bake the pie until the filling has set and a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean, approximately 40 to 50 minutes.
- After 20 minutes of baking, check edges of crust and if they appear to be browning too quickly, cover edges of crust with foil . Finish baking.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve warm or chilled.