Artichoke Hearts, Olives, Sun-Dried Tomato and Red Chili Bread (#1033)
Breads Any American Italian Jamaican Lunch Snack Appetizer Side Dairy Grains Oils Vegetables Vegetarian Healthy Dairy Gluten Lactose Intolerant Milk Wheat Bake Medium
Share This Recipe
- 2 1/4 tsp Active Dry Yeast 1 package
- 1 tsp Honey or sugar
- 1 cup Milk warm, or use a little more as needed.
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil plus more for brushing
- 1/2 cup Black Olives pitted
- 1/4 cup Artichoke Hearts marinated, drained and slice into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup Sundried Tomatoes oil-packed, drained and coarsely chopped
- 5 Red Chili Peppers remove seeds and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp Thyme fresh or 1 teaspoon dried
- Combine yeast, honey or sugar, and milk in a 2-cup measuring cup or a medium bowl, and stir well.
- Let it sit for about 10 minutes until the mixture bubbles and the yeast is activated.
- In a large mixing bowl, add both flours, salt and olive oil.
- Pour the yeast and milk mixture into the flour mixture bowl, and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Knead under low speed with dough hook until an elastic and smooth dough form; about 5 minutes. You may need to add a little more milk or flour depending on how sticky dough is.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured working surface and knead for about 2 minutes.
- Coat a large mixing bowl with cooking spray, and place the dough into the bowl.
- Cover with a large piece of plastic wrap or a damp towel.
- Let sit at a warm place until the dough doubles in size, 1 to 2 hours, depending on how warm the place is.
- Punch dough down, knead a few times, and place the dough into a 7 X 10-inch casserole dish brushed with about 1/2 tablespoon olive oil.
- Press the dough to fit bottom of dish, about 1 to 1 1/2-inches thick.
- Brush top with 1 or 2 tablespoons olive oil as needed.
- Push the olives, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes and red chili peppers into the surface of the dough.
- Sprinkle with the thyme leaves.
- Let sit at a warm place for another 40 minutes to 1 hour until it doubles in size again.
- Preheat the oven to 350° f (180° c).
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the bread becomes golden.
- Cool a few minutes, cut into squares and serve warm.