Turkish Baklava (#1030)
Desserts Nuts Pastries Any American Greek Turkish Dessert Snack Appetizer Dessert Grains Oils Protein Kosher Vegetarian Gluten Nut Wheat Bake Boil Not Spicy
Share This Recipe
- 1 package Filo Pastry Sheets prefer Phyllo
- 1 pound Butter spread soft butter on bottom & sides of pan, melt remaining butter
- 1 pound Walnuts chopped
- 1 cups Sugar white granulated
- 1/4 tsp Cloves ground
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon ground
- 1 cup water white granulated
- 2 cups sugar white granulated
- 1/4 tsp cloves ground
- 3/4 tsp cinnemon or cinnemon stick
- Generously butter bottom and sides of the baking dish.
- Chop walnuts to medium fine and mix with 1 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves.
- Melt remaining butter.
- Cut filo dough into halves and place in bottom of buttered baking dish..
- Generously spread butter on each sheet of filo as it is placed in the pan.
- Every 6 to 8 sheets of filo spread a layer of walnut mix.
- Continue layering filo sheets and walnuts until filo is complete.
- Pour any remaining melted butter over top of the baklava.
- With a sharp knife, cut the baklava diagonally to form diamond shaped pieces.
- Preheat oven to 350° f (180° c) and bake the baklava for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Allow baklava to cool completely again prior to serving.
- To make syrup, mix one cup water, two cups sugar, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves and either 3/4 teaspoons cinnamon or the cinnamon stick in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Pour boiling syrup over the cool baklava.