Mini Spinach, Mushroom and Fontina Quiche (#1027)
Appetizers Any American Brunch Lunch Snack Appetizer Side Dairy Oils Protein Vegetables Diabetic Low Calorie Low Fat Vegetarian Healthy Dairy Eggs Bake Fry Not Spicy
Share This Recipe
- 6 strips Turkey Bacon 3 ounces
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil or butter
- 10 oz Mushrooms white or cremini, coarsely chopped
- 1 small Shallots thinly sliced
- 1 Salt to taste
- 1 Black Pepper to taste
- 2 cups Baby Spinach
- 1 pinch Nutmeg freshly grated
- 4 large Eggs
- 4 large Egg Whites
- 1/4 cup Skim Milk
- 1 1/2 oz Fontina Cheese grated, 1/3 cup, or cheddar cheese
- 1 Mixed Salad Greens for serving, optional
- Preheat the oven to 375° f (190° c).
- Evenly coat a standard muffin pan (12 cups) with cooking spray or grease with butter
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat.
- Add the turkey bacon and cook, turning constantly until crisp, 7 to 9 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board and crumble or coarsely chop.
- In the same skillet, heat the oil.
- Stir in the mushrooms, shallot, and season with salt and pepper.
- Sauté until shallots are soft and the mushrooms are dry and lightly browned, 9 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the baby spinach and nutmeg until the spinach is just wilted, but still bright green, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, milk, and salt and pepper until well blended.
- Stir in the cheese.
- Divide the egg mixture evenly among the muffin cups, filling them about halfway.
- Top evenly with the mushroom and spinach mixture and the crumbled bacon.
- Bake until the quiches are well risen, golden brown and set, about 25 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with mixed greens if desired.