Chili Curries Vegetables Any Indian Iranian Russian Brunch Dinner Lunch Side Soup Vegetables Gluten Free Heart Healthy Low Calorie Vegetarian Healthy Boil Medium
Share This Recipe
- 6 oz Lentils, Green
- 2 tsp Ghee (Clarified Butter) or vegetable oil
- 1 large Onion finely chopped
- 2 Green Chili Peppers freshly minced
- 1 Cinnamon Sticks broken up
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Cumin ground
- 2 Tomatoes ripe, skinned and chopped, or canned
- 20 oz Water warm water (brit pint)
- 2 cloves Garlic peeled and minced, chopped
- Wash and soak the lentils for 2 hours and drain well.
- Melt ghee over medium heat in a non-stick pan and fry the onions, green chilli and cinnamon until onions are slightly browned, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the turmeric and garam masala, stir and mix well.
- Add the lentils, cayenne pepper and salt, stir and fry for 8 to 10 minutes over a low heat.
- Add the cumin, tomato, stir and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the water and garlic, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for about 50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Serve with rice, parathas/rotis.