Angel Food Cake with Whipped Cream and Fresh Berries (#1000)
Cakes Desserts Parties Any Christmas Fall Holidays Independence Day Labor Day Memorial Day Parties Spring Summer American Low Fat Fish Nut Peanut Shellfish Sulfites Tree Nuts Bake Not Spicy
Share This Recipe
- 1 3/4 cup Egg Whites (12 to 14 large eggs)
- 1 tsp Cream Of Tartar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 3/4 cups Sugar
- 1 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 tsp Almond Extract
- 1/4 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream whipped
- 1 cup Berries such as strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and/or blackberries
- Preheat oven to 350° f (180° c).
- Sift sugar and flour together 3 times.
- Put egg whites in mixing bowl, add cream of tartar and salt and beat until very soft peaks form, 6 to 8 minutes.
- With mixer on low speed, gradually whisk in sugar/flour mixture.
- Fold in vanilla, almond and lemon juice.
- Pour into ungreased 10 inch tube pan and smooth top.
- Run spatula gently through batter to remove air pockets.
- Bake until pale brown, about 40 to 45 minutes.
- The cake is done when a wooden skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean and the cake springs back when gently pressed.
- The top of the cake will have cracks. Do not over bake.
- Remove from the oven, and immediately invert the tube pan.
- Suspend the pan by placing the inner tube on the top of a wine bottle or a flat topped glass.
- Allow the cake to cool for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve with whipped cream and berries, if desired.